Monday, September 12, 2011

Why Cloth Diaper?

 Well, why not! What most people don’t realize it that cloth diapering has changed so much over the past 10-12 years! When I first told my mom that I will be cloth diapering she told me that she tried it on my sister and her exact words were, “You’re really going to hate changing a cloth diaper because it’s like sticking your head into a sewage drain.” Thanks mom, that’s encouraging! However she’s referring to the old slap some cloth on the baby, use a HUGE diaper pin, and put some rubber pants on top. So after I explained to her the “updated” way of cloth diapering she became surprisingly interested.
Reason number 1, it saves you money. I mean that alone is great right? Usually when people have their snarky remarks I will say, “I’m saving thousands of dollars and I don’t have to go to the store in the middle of night to buy diapers.” Now the money-saving part is only true if you don’t go crazy buying all of the cute designs. Yeah I know but they’re SOOOOO cute but don’t worry, I have a great way to get all cute designs for a great deal. Now back to the money portion, the initial cost of cloth diapering IS pretty steep but remember that you don’t have to go out and buy $300 worth of diapers in one swoop. If you are expecting, save a little money here and there each paycheck for 6 months (doesn’t have to be that long) and then buy what you need/want, or take that money and go buy some diapers. If you’re using disposables and want to start cloth diapering you can also put a little money on the side and just buy one here and there while you’re making the transition.
If you think about it, you can get a box of Pampers (66 ct) for around $27 then calculate how many diapers your little one goes through. If you have a newborn, it’s recommended you change them every two hours and ALWAYS before/after nap time. So anywhere from 12-18 diapers a day, so how long is that pack of diapers going to last you? Not very long. I’ve put a link under “Helpful Links” to help you because I know my bath math skills aren’t very helpful. Keep in mind that some diapers are in a different price range then others, but this gives you an idea. Also; I know it has all the different cloth diapers, don’t worry! We’ll get into that in a later post! Like I said before, that is just an estimate of everything!
Reason number 2, skin and health concerns. This is another important thing to consider when comparing cloth and disposables. Cloth diapers are better for your baby’s skin and health. Diaper rash is “acceptable” when using disposables and it doesn’t have to be this way! Now, I’m not saying that if you cloth diaper you will NEVER have to worry about a diaper rash, let’s be real here. Rashes are increased with disposables because of the different chemicals and dyes that are used to make them. I’m not  going to sit here and say that disposables cause cancer or anything, because I know my mother used disposables on me and I’m perfectly fine! All I’m saying is we can reduce diaper rashes by cloth diapering I mean let’s face it, no one wants to deal with a fussy baby that has a diaper rash.  Like I said before you will still get a diaper rash here and there from using cloth but there are no harsh chemicals used when making them, they’re made from cloth. Cloth diapers are absorbent because of the layers of well, cloth.. Not absorbent gel. They’re made to breathe so they are safer for little boys especially because there is no plastic suffocating their private parts, which means less chances of a rash!
Reason number 3, they are convenient and Eco-Friendly! Like I said before, by cloth diapering I will not have to make a run to the store in the middle of the night for disposables. What’s not to love about that? Yes, they make biodegradable disposable diapers but just like regular disposables, they can cost you a pretty penny. So most people will buy the non-biodegradable diapers just to save money, but that’s no way to help save our planet. Now, I’m not a tree hugger or anything (no offense to those who are:) ) but I try to help in ways that won’t break the bank.
So there you have it, the three main reasons to cloth diaper. Cloth diapers DO have flaws but we will get into that later. And for those who are sold on it but can’t get your significant other on board, just bring up the money part and show them numbers. That usually does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment